Re: Looking for a nail

From: Hendrik Tews (tews@irritatie.cs.kun.nl)
Date: Mon Jan 25 1999 - 21:53:53 MET

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:53:53 +0100
From: Hendrik Tews <tews@irritatie.cs.kun.nl>
Subject: Re: Looking for a nail

Hi,

   Miles> hammer and I want to find some nails to hit with it.

1. Bringing ocamletags to live again. I keep a copy, which
compiles under 2.01 and reads 2.01 files, but does not create
much tags for classes. I am willing to through this into the
pool (if Francois Rouaix agrees).

2. The yacc and lex interface of ocaml could be a tuned up. Some
ideas:

- use a oo interface for lexers and parsers, this would provide a
much butter way of adding state information to lexers and parsers
[cf Christian Lindig's mail "Proposal for new Lexing Module
(long)" from Mon, 18 Jan 1999]
by simply inheriting from the library classes.

- adding start conditions a la flex to ocamllex

- adding a tool for generating perfect hash functions for keyword
recognition a la gperf; It would be great, if the hash function
generator could read the set of keywords from annotations in the
.mly file. I have a rather primitive version, which could be used
as a starting point.

Bye,

Hendrik