RE: Classes: when and where? (long) (was: looking for a nail)

From: Don Syme (dsyme@microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Feb 01 1999 - 13:48:15 MET

From: Don Syme <dsyme@microsoft.com>
To: "'Markus Mottl'" <mottl@miss.wu-wien.ac.at>
Subject: RE: Classes: when and where? (long) (was: looking for a nail)
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 04:48:15 -0800

Thanks Markus. I think I can buy classes as a structuring device to
encapsulate mutable state, as you say, rather than as an abstraction device.
That is, classes can indeed be effectively employed to create "components",
whereas the utility of subtyping to create "generic components" is not so
clear. I also agree that modules are not a terribly effective structuring
device when hiding mutable state. I might use records of closures (as in the
Format library), but I would also consider using classes. Certainly many
C++ and Java libraries benefit from this kind of use.

Beyond this, I'm aware that there are generic components/abstractions that
can be represented in object calculii that can't be represented conveniently
in the core of Ocaml, and I'm still willing to be convinced of the practical
utility of such abstractions. I think examples may come, especially when we
try to express complex APIs such as those for existing windowing libraries,
but until then I feel the jury is out. (IMHO, given the contorted nature of
many OO-based attempts at abstraction, one might feel the jury could have
given a preliminary verdict some time ago ;-) )

On the question of project failures: I would certainly blame the failure
and/or slow-progress of several projects I've seen on the mis-application of
OO design techniques, in particular on the over use of inheritance and
subtyping as an abstraction technique, and the over use of abstraction in
general. I believe this represents a balanced assessment rather than a
position based on dogma, since it was also the opinion of some of those
involved in the project, after the fact. (I was just an observer). Other
people, perhaps, can report brilliant success in the application of these
abstraction techniques - I'd be pleased to have my opinions changed!

Cheers,
Don

At the lab: At home:
Microsoft Research Cambridge 11 John St
St George House CB1 1DT
Cambridge, CB2 3NH, UK
Ph: +44 (0) 1223 744797 Ph: +44 (0) 1223 722244
http://research.microsoft.com/users/dsyme
email: dsyme@microsoft.com
   "You've been chosen as an extra in the movie
        adaptation of the sequel to your life" -- Pavement, Shady Lane

http://miss.wu-wien.ac.at/~mottl