Re: Caml and PCs

Xavier Leroy (xavier@Theory.Stanford.EDU)
Wed, 26 May 1993 15:44:50 -0700 (PDT)

From: Xavier Leroy <xavier@Theory.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Re: Caml and PCs
To: popineau@ese-metz.fr
Date: Wed, 26 May 1993 15:44:50 -0700 (PDT)

> Does it exists a version of Caml-light that can run in
> a Dos box of Windows 3.1 ?

The 8086 version should work fine. But it's severely limited in
memory, and rather slow.

In theory, all you need to run the 386 version is a VCPI-compliant
memory manager. Windows only provide DPMI memory management. So, if you
somehow manage to run Windows under a VCPI memory manager, Caml Light
should run fine. I've heard that the latest release of QEMM might be
able to do that, but that's a wild guess.

> Or better, maybe there is a Windows(3.1, NT) version
> of caml being worked on ?

None that I know of. If anyone has some practical experience with
porting Unix programs to 32-bit Windows applications, I'd like to hear
about it (how hard is it, which compiler to use, etc.).

- Xavier Leroy