Re: MMM, a Web browser with applets in Caml Special Light

Francois Rouaix (Francois.Rouaix@inria.fr)
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 15:49:40 +0100

To: Christophe Raffalli <raffalli@cs.chalmers.se>
Subject: Re: MMM, a Web browser with applets in Caml Special Light
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 15:49:40 +0100
From: Francois Rouaix <Francois.Rouaix@inria.fr>

> Have you think about security ? Basically an applets should
> not be able to write or delete any files, so not all the caml-light library
> should be accessible.

Yes, naturally. Security is *the* important issue with applets !
Basically (to make a long story short), security relies on the type and
module system.
Basic facts about Caml applets security are discussed in
<URL:http://pauillac.inria.fr/~rouaix/mmm/applets.html>
Check also the paper submitted to publication
<URL:http://pauillac.inria.fr/~rouaix/mmm/papers/mmm-ps.gz>

I'm currently writing the reference documentation for applets, so keep an eye
on the MMM home page.

Finally, please note that I'm not making any claim about security yet.
Although I've been working on identifying and blocking security holes for
several weeks, I may have forgotten something.
I NEED FEEDBACK ON THIS TOPIC. If you are interested in Caml applets, please
contact me. It might be worth setting a up a separate mailing list.

--
Francois.Rouaix@inria.fr                   Projet Cristal - INRIA Rocquencourt
WWW Home Page: http://pauillac.inria.fr/~rouaix/