Re: hypertext ML code

Thorsten Ohl (ohl@crunch.ikp.physik.th-darmstadt.de)
Thu, 4 Jan 1996 20:07:32 +0100

Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 20:07:32 +0100
From: Thorsten Ohl <ohl@crunch.ikp.physik.th-darmstadt.de>
To: Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: hypertext ML code

>>>>> "Xavier" == Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr> writes:

Xavier> Ah, if you're into literate programming in Caml, you might
Xavier> find Norman Ramsey's NoWeb package interesting
Xavier> (http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/nr/noweb/). It is claimed to
Xavier> have indexing capabilites for several languages including
Xavier> Standard ML (should be easy to adapt to Caml) and generates
Xavier> both LaTeX and HTML.

Just my 2 centimes: I can wholeheartedly recommend it and I ``don't
code without it'' :-).

With a little makefile hacking it can support CSL-style separate
compilation easily. If somebody is fluent in the Icon language,
he/she should be able to adapt the automatic cross referencer for SML
to CSL without much trouble (I couldn't find free docs for Icon, so I
punted on that).

Marking the definitions by hand isn't too inconvenient either and
gives you more fine grained control (in case do not want to cross
reference everything). References are handled automatically anyway.

-Thorsten

/// Thorsten Ohl, TH Darmstadt, Schlossgartenstr. 9, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
//// http://crunch.ikp.physik.th-darmstadt.de/~ohl //// voice: +49-6151-16-3116
///// email: Thorsten.Ohl@Physik.TH-Darmstadt.de /// secretary: 2072, fax: 2421