Bugs in CAML for Windows

Jean-Marie Geffroy (geffroy@cornas.inria.fr)
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 17:26:50 +0100

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 17:26:50 +0100
From: Jean-Marie Geffroy <geffroy@cornas.inria.fr>
To: caml-list@pauillac.inria.fr
Subject: Bugs in CAML for Windows

Here is a group answer to the various bug reports about CAML
Windows. Most of them concerned the graphics primitives and have been
fixed. I also changed some minor "ergonomy" misbehaviors. To sum up
(fixed bugs are marked by a +):

+ The most ennoying bug was that reported by Gerard Lavau: a GPF
occurred sometimes under Win32s when leaving CAML...

+ Closely related to the previous one: when launching then quitting
CAML many times, the colors of the desktop where modified: title bars
became white, the font changed, ... This bug had exactly the same cause
than the previous one.

+ To put it bluntly, the bug reported by Yan (graphics were sometimes
displayed in other windows) *seems* also fixed: it doesn't occur any
more on my test machines (under 32s, 95 and NT). I have an explanation
and a solution for it, but it is not completely satisfactory... I feel my
solution is correct but my explanation is doubtful...

- I still never could reproduce Martial Tarizzo's bug: clear_graph
hangs his system ! Has anyone else encountered the same problem ?

+/- Finally, I still have an "amazing" bug, which occurs once again
only under 32s: the display of the graphics window sometimes
temporarily changes the font of the other windows. A redrawing of these
windows is necessary in order to restore their original
fonts. Unhappily again, this bug doesn't appear when I compile CAML in
debug mode...

To conclude, I still have one minor bug (the last one), and a most
annoying one (Tarizzo's bug) that I'd first like to reproduce ! I'll
put a new release of camlwin.exe (compiled in debug mode, it will be
far slower) on our ftp site tonight. If people that had trouble could
try this release and report the results, it would be a great help.

Thanks to everybody for their support and bug reports. I sincerely
apologize for having caused so many PCs to reboot !

Sincerely,

Jean-Marie