Upcoming O'Labl

Jacques GARRIGUE (garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp)
Mon, 13 May 96 10:06:23 JST

From: Jacques GARRIGUE <garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 13 May 96 10:06:23 JST
To: caml-list@pauillac.inria.fr
Subject: Upcoming O'Labl

O'Caml comes, so what is happening to Label Special Light ?

Question 1 (Christian Boos <boos@gr6.u-strasbg.fr>)

> Another one is that the very interesting contribution of Jacques
> Garrigue and Jun P. Furuse (labeled and optional arguments to
> functions) hasn't merged with the mainstream. Will this happen one
> day, at least optionaly (sort of -withlabels option) ?

No idea, I'm not the one who decides. But this may take some time, as
the following explains.

Question 2 (myself)

Will labeled arguments be ported to O'Caml ?

Yes, I'm working on it and have already an alpha version. Must be
checked carefully since the source changed a lot. I hope I can release
it this week.

It is even more than labeled and optional arguments, since there are
also new polymorphic variants. This should mix nicely with objects.

However there are a number of problems, which will certainly not be
solved in the first release. That is, objects are breaking the basic
assumption of labels and comptionals compiling: that the actual type
of a function is known when it is applied. This is no longer true with
methods. This means that there will be restrictions on the use of
labels in method definitions :-(, otherwise integration should go
smoothly.

> Anyway, Caml is still going better and better ... That's great !

True ! But I didn't think CSL would disappear so quickly !

Jacques