Re: Class variables in O'Caml

Roberto Di Cosmo (Roberto.Dicosmo@ens.fr)
Wed, 15 May 96 19:48:43 +0200

From: Roberto Di Cosmo <Roberto.Dicosmo@ens.fr>
Date: Wed, 15 May 96 19:48:43 +0200
To: chet@watson.ibm.com, caml-list@pauillac.inria.fr
Subject: Re: Class variables in O'Caml

In Objective-C, there is no language support for class variables,
only for class methods...
But since that is a kind of C anyway, you can achieve sort of the
same effect by declaring a static variable in the file containing
the class
implementation, and access/modify it through class methods (that, again,
are supported) ...

(this is just to complete the C++/Objective-C/Java picture: by the way,
Java is embarassingly similar to Objective C, and even the online
documentation
copies a lot on NeXT's one ... does anybody know for sure if
Java's designer are really
former NeXT's employees, as somebody told me?)

As for what Objective Caml should have... I do not have yet a clear
idea...
It seems to me that some kind of support for "safe" dynamic typing would
be more urgent, maybe...

--Roberto