Caml Parsing

Stephan Zdancewic (zdance@cs.cornell.edu)
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 14:57:12 -0400

To: caml-list@pauillac.inria.fr
Subject: Caml Parsing
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 14:57:12 -0400
From: Stephan Zdancewic <zdance@cs.cornell.edu>

Hello!
I'm trying to use the SML version of yacc to write a parser
for Objective Caml, but I've run into problems because of some
differences in SML-yacc and Caml-yacc. More precisely, Caml-yacc
allows you to specify precedence and associativity for non-terminals
in the grammar, while SML-yacc will let you do this only for
terminals. Since the Caml-yacc grammar for OCaml makes extensive use
of this feature, I need a way of getting the same behavior in
SML-yacc.
If anyone knows of a way around this, I'd be very greatful
for the information. Alternatively, does there exist a specification
of the OCaml grammar that doesn't rely on these precedence
levels/associativities? Or, better yet, has anyone already written
an OCaml parser for SML?

Thanks,
Steve Zdancewic
zdance@cs.cornell.edu