native code compiler and exceptions

Jocelyn Serot (Jocelyn.Serot@lasmea.univ-bpclermont.fr)
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:21:30 METDST

From: Jocelyn Serot <Jocelyn.Serot@lasmea.univ-bpclermont.fr>
Subject: native code compiler and exceptions
To: caml-list@margaux.inria.fr
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:21:30 METDST

Hello there,

I wanted to ask the ocaml implementors the following question:

Is there a deep, "fundamental", reason why certain exceptions (in particular
those raised by array accesses out of bound) are not handled in same way
by the bytecode compiler and the native compiler, or is it a temporary
weakness that will be removed in future releases ?..

Here's - in short ;-) - why i am wondering about that:
I've written an image processing module in ocaml. Some functions in this
module (for example, convolutions, ...) relies heavily on bound-violation
exceptions for handling clipping effect at image boundaries. Well, now every-
things works fine under the bytecode compiler. But i'd like to take advantage
of teh native code compiler to boost all that code a bit...

Thanks for any clue

Jocelyn

--
E-mail: Jocelyn.Serot@lasmea.univ-bpclermont.fr .............................
S-mail: LASMEA - URA 1793 CNRS, Universite Blaise Pascal, 63177 Aubiere cedex