Re: camllight graphics and video card S3 trio 64V+, etc.

Xavier Leroy (Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr)
Wed, 9 Oct 1996 11:44:08 +0200 (MET DST)

From: Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: camllight graphics and video card S3 trio 64V+, etc.
To: jcfillia@ens-lyon.fr (Jean-Christophe Filliatre)
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 11:44:08 +0200 (MET DST)

> 1. I have a video card "S3 trio 64 V+ PCI" and there seems to be no
> driver for this
> card in order to use the graphics library of camllight 0.71 under DOS.
> Is it possible to get it somewhere ? Or is there any "standard" SVGA
> driver which can be used with this card ?

You're probably talking about release 0.7 or earlier. You should try
VESA_S3.GRN first, which seems to be a "generic" S3 driver. If this
fails, try other drivers for cards that have S3 chips in them, such as
STEALTH.GRN and F1280.GRN

This said, graphics under MSDOS are a mess, and you're strongly
encouraged to do graphics under the Windows version of Caml Light 0.71.
At least, Windows takes care of the graphics drivers.

> 2. Is the 256 colors limitation of the graphics library inherent to
> this library, or is it possible to find drivers for more than 256
> colors (for 24 bits video cards for instance) ?

The graphics code for 0.7 was built on top of the CBGRX library for
DJGPP version 1, and I don't think this library can handle more than
256 colors. (This is code I wrote almost five years ago, so I can be
wrong.)

For 0.71, Caml Light will happily let you access all colors that
Windows provides.

- Xavier Leroy