Re: Error messages in Caml &co

Ian T Zimmerman (itz@rahul.net)
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 07:45:14 -0700

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 07:45:14 -0700
From: Ian T Zimmerman <itz@rahul.net>
To: Basile Starynkevitch - LETR/IA <basile@mimas.saclay.cea.fr>
Subject: Re: Error messages in Caml &co

In article <199610101435.QAA14156@mimas.serma.cea.fr> Basile
Starynkevitch - LETR/IA <basile@mimas.saclay.cea.fr> writes:

> Make caml error messages compatible with Emacs conventions, for
> instance compatible with GNU error message convention
> filename:number: error message

Caml does more than most compilers: it reports the column number where
the error occurred, not just the line number. That's why the format
is different.

> Otherwise, give a hint regarding the value of the Emacs variable for
> parsing error messages; I've added to my ~/.emacs
>
> (setq
> compilation-error-regexp-alist
> (append compilation-error-regexp-alist
> '(
> (".*lines? \\([0-9]+\\)[ \t]+of[ \t]+\"?\\([^\":\n]+\\)\"?"
> 3 2)
> )
> )
> )
>
> But I am not sure it is correct. If people have a better value,
> please tell it!

Please see the elisp code: the exact messages depend on the local
language, hence your regex probably won't work in the German version
(for one: lines => Zeilen).

You may want to check out my extensions to Caml Emacs tools, available
on
ftp://ftp.rahul.net/pub/itz
and the usual elisp archives (I hope).

They have not been updated for ocaml (or csl), though, because I don't
want to deal with unfortunate gratituous syntax incompatibilities.
(Has anyone out there tried that? How do you cope eg. with the '
character being used both in char literals and type variables?)

--
Ian T Zimmerman                        <itz@rahul.net>
Days spent working only for oneself are twice wasted;