Re: ocaml needs users: native code for windows?

From: Xavier Leroy (Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr)
Date: Mon May 12 1997 - 19:19:26 MET DST

From: Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: ocaml needs users: native code for windows?
To: laheadle@midway.uchicago.edu (Lyn A Headley)
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 19:19:26 +0200 (MET DST)

> I think it would be nice if more programmers used ocaml, and if more
> companies could view the language as a serious vehicle for application
> development. Given those goals, it seems that one step in the right
> direction would involve porting ocamlopt to Intel Win32 and binding
> the frightful but popular Windows API to it

The ocamlopt native-code compiler is already available for Win32. You
need MASM and MSVC++ to use it, though. But you're correct that there
is no interface for the Win32 API.

We don't have the manpower to invest in a full Win32 port. The
majority of our serious users works under Unix, anyway. If you feel
like doing the Win32 port, we'll support your efforts, of course.

Regards,

- Xavier Leroy