Re: Portability of applications written in OCAML: C stuff

From: Alan Schmitt (alan.schmitt@inria.fr)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 09:37:43 MET

    >> In particular, when you say "must work under windows", do you mean out
    >> of the box window, or one with some tools installed (ocaml, python,
    >> cygwin thus bash, make ...)
    >
    > The current requirements are for Python and Ocaml installed.
    >Plus you need the same C compiler used to build Python and Ocaml.
    >[You also need GTK]

    I have never compiled ocaml under windows, but I thought there was
    some kind of nmake to do it.

    And some day, it should be possible to compile it using cygwin, which
    is slightly cheaper than some m$ compilers ;-) and which makes
    available many nice command line tools.

    >> True, but since there is a nice mechanism to deal with this (ie
    >> Makefile and directories), is this really worth it ?
    >
    > What? Nice mechanism? Are you joking or ignorant?

    I must say I am ignorant. I've only compiled software under Linux, and
    installed it under Linux and Windows.

    The only way to get really rid of software under windows is to
    reinstall the whole system from scratch (the garbage collecting of
    dlls is not that good ;-). Most of the time, when I uninstall
    something that decided to go live in common directories, uninstall
    fails. Under Linux, I think makefiles work well, and it is possible to
    specify an install directory during the configuration process (and
    when I say that, I mean there will be nothing that will go in another
    directory, as it can happen for some other os).

    Now if you would be so kind as to explain what better solution you
    have compared to makefiles, I'm all ears.

    Alan Schmitt

    --
    The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.