Dynamic loading and building of shared libraries

From: skaller (skaller@maxtal.com.au)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 03:14:45 MET

    I have a need to load sets of ocaml functions at run time
    in Viper using dlopen: this requirement arises from Python's
    ability to dynamically load C extension modules: Viper
    emulates this by loading text files which provide
    equivalent functionality, but these files must use
    native functions to provide the functionality.

    At the moment, these functions must be statically
    linked into the interpreter, which is not really acceptable.

    It should be easy to provide a C factory function in a shared
    library that returns a table of functions: my question is,
    how to tell ocaml to link a shared library, rather than
    a main executable.

    How do I do this? If not, can a way be devised to tell
    ocamlopt to do it? Or is there a reasone it isn't possible?

    --
    John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller@maxtal.com.au
    homepage: http://www.maxtal.com.au/~skaller