Re: Preferred GUI Toolkit for O'Caml 3?

From: Jacques Garrigue (garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 02:46:02 MET

    From: Thorsten Ohl <ohl@hep.tu-darmstadt.de>

    > I soon have to do major surgery (= an almost complete rewrite) on a
    > graphical user interface, currently in O'CamlTK.
    >
    > Since retargeting to incompatible GUIs is such a boring job, I'd like
    > to hear which toolkit do you see in your tea leafs as the future
    > toolkit of choice?

    I answer for the two libraries I'm concerned with.

    > - LablTK [ (+) more convenient than O'CamlTK
    > (+) part of O'Caml 2.99 ]

    This is now an integral part of the ocaml distribution, available on
    both Unix and Windows (in ocaml 3.00). The interface should be stable
    in the future, making it a good choice if portability and
    maintainability matter.

    > - lablgtk [ same a mlgtk, plus
    > (-) still beta
    > (+) appears(!) to have the slickest API ]

    Beta does mainly mean that it may undergo API changes in the future.
    It is already good enough for writing applications. The next version
    will also support Windows.
    This is a good choice if appearance matters, and you are ready to
    eventually suffer a bit with API changes.

    Regards,

    Jacques
    Jacques Garrigue Kyoto University garrigue at kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp
                    <A HREF=http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~garrigue/>JG</A>